Board recruitment officially closed November 14, 2023.
Organization & Mission
Future Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that works to level the playing field for youth in Atlanta’s underserved communities by serving as a Second Family. Our afterschool and summer programs are tailored to middle and high school students living in Atlanta’s South Fulton neighborhoods. We work with youth to provide exposure to new experiences and reinforce the skills needed to thrive in adulthood. In this way, we build a foundation for a better future for us all.
Board Member Expectations
Board members are responsible for helping to develop Future Foundation’s strategy, ensuring it has all necessary resources, managing its financial and legal affairs, and serving as ambassadors for the organization. To satisfy these responsibilities, Board members are held to the following expectations:
- Actively participating in at least 5 out of 6 Board meetings per year. Meetings are currently the fourth Tuesday of the month from 4:30pm to 6:30pm Eastern and held via Zoom.
- Attend the annual, in-person retreat.
- Participating fully on at least one committee.
- Making an annual personal contribution that is commensurate with individual capacity.
- Contributing to fundraising efforts by raising a minimum of $1,500 per year, inclusive of a personal contribution.
- Engaging in Future Foundation activities at least twice per year.
- Maintaining confidentiality on all internal affairs.
- Disclosing any actual or perceived conflicts of interest.
- Ensuring Future Foundation complies with all federal, state, local, and organizational legal requirements.
- Reviewing and approving annual budgets, financial statements, audit reports, tax forms, and material business decisions.
- Leveraging connections, networks, and resources to benefit Future Foundation.
- Contributing to the development of policies and strategic plans.
- Assisting the CEO and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting new Board Members.
- Appointing, supporting, and evaluating Future Foundation’s CEO.
Future Foundation’s Board members serve a two-year term and are eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms. Members currently spend approximately 3 to 8 hours on Board service per month. Please note Board members are volunteers and as such do not receive any compensation for their services.
Based on our recent review of skills, connections, and lived experiences among current members, we are seeking new Board members who will help widen our breadth of skills, increase our community representation, and expand our capacity for special projects. For this reason, we encourage applications from those with experience in business, education, finance / fiscal stewardship, fundraising, government, law, nonprofits, technology, and youth.
While not mandatory, the following qualifications are highly preferred:
- Background in K-12, higher education, or social engagement.
- A deep commitment to Future Foundation’s mission and vision.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to cultivate relationships and build consensus among diverse individuals.
- Ability to participate in fundraising efforts.
- Experience living or working in the South and a commitment to being a change agent in this region.
- Previous Board experience.
Future Foundation’s Commitment to Board Members
Board Leadership and the CEO commit to:
- Being forthright and transparent in communications and reports.
- Providing agendas and reports with sufficient time for Board members to review before meetings.
- Holding organized, efficient, and effective meetings.
- Operating in a manner that enables Board members to meet the three legal duties of service: Loyalty, Care, and Obedience.
- Supporting Board members to meet their expectations by:
- Offering a comprehensive onboarding process so new Board members understand Future Foundation’s governance, programs, finance, and fundraising.
- Ensuring Board members have access to additional training to develop needed skills (examples: fundraising, reading financial reports, etc.).
- Providing fundraising opportunities and resources to ensure Board members can meet their give/get.
Future Foundation Board recruitment closed November 14, 2023. We sincerely thank all candidates for their interest.
Those selected for Board service will be asked to complete a 4-part Board orientation program before being appointed to the Board. Each session will be conducted via Zoom and will have approximately one hour of pre-work or follow-up activities. These sessions are designed to inform, inspire, and initiate new Board members so that they can be engaged from their very first Board meeting:
- Future Foundation Programs: Tuesday 12/5 at 6:00 PM ET
- Future Foundation Board Governance: Tuesday 12/19 at 6:00 PM ET
- Future Foundation Fundraising: Tuesday 1/9 at 6:00 PM ET
- Future Foundation Finances: Tuesday 1/23 at 6:00 PM ET
We will offer make up sessions for those unable to attend sessions live.
Future Foundation has engaged Dolph Goldenburg and Lexie Linger of Successful Nonprofits® to implement the Board recruitment campaign. Those interested in Board service or in nominating someone for Board service can contact them at [email protected].